The yarn for our group tapestry project was dyed last year in March. We dyed our chosen silk and soy fibers in three colors each at four saturation levels for everyone to use. That yielded 26 choices including natural colors for each of us to create the palette for our individual tapestries. The yarns were quite thin so we could combine yarns and create even more combinations of colors than were originally dyed. For me, at my sett, there would be over 2,100 potential permutations of color! Clearly this is not as limiting a factor as it appears at first glance.
So clearly there are a plethora of choices. Often with so many choices, the analytical side of my brain kicks into high gear and indecision reigns. There is always one more subset of colors which might yield a better result than the one selected. And one more after that... Surprisingly, this did not occur. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, the minute we decided to limit our palette. I decided I would weave my tapestry based on value and not stress on color. That idea flashed into my brain and I never changed my mind over the many months since then.
Here are my 20 yarn samples all organized by color and value.
So ten months after the yarn was dyed, with the deadline quickly approaching, I found some free time and finally began creating my actual palette consisting of five different values.
To be continued...