This was one of two small pieces I completed during my 'green phase' last year. One of my art groups had a collaborative project where we were assigned colors and had to create a variety of fiber pieces in those colors to fit in a silver 4" by 10" frame. I was assigned green and yellow. This ladybug is one of my green pieces. The other will be exhibited in A Lively Experiment exhibit at Convergence....but more on that at a later time.
I got the idea for this tapestry from a photo my husband took at the UCLA Botanical Gardens. Of course, in his photo the ladybugs were red and much smaller but with a touch of Photoshop I was able to create a cartoon to my liking in about thirty minutes. The yarn is all 'stash yarn' and all dyed by me at some point in my life. I was surprised by the amount of green silk I had in my boxes of yarn, I wove with singles at a 14 e.p.i.
For fun and to accentuate the realism, I stuffed the tapestry a bit behind the beetle and behind a few of the leaves for a slight three dimensional effect.
This is one of my favorite pieces.